Hives, rash, uncontrollable itching and even asthma-like wheezing... those were a few of the negative side-effects of the toxic build up of SLS in my body! It happened in 2010 right after we moved to a home in beautiful horse country. At first, I thought it was the well water. But, after traveling and showering with non-well water, I realized something else was the culprit. I became a super-sleuth and uncovered a little known fact about Sodium Laurel Sulfate, an ingredient that pervades many household and cosmetic products that we use, sometimes multiple times a day!
According to Osha MSDS, SLS is listed as:
WHAT???!!! Say it ain't so, Joe!
So, what exactly is Sodium Laurel Sulfate? SLS is an industrial grade "degreaser". SLS adds that frothy LATHER to cleaning products, such as shower gels, hand soaps, dish detergents, shampoo, and even toothpaste, (as if toothpaste isn't toxic enough already!). If we only used a couple of products once or twice a day, it probably wouldn't be a problem. But, the average person uses NINE products, some, MULTIPLE times a day- herein lies the problem! Continued exposure to SLS causes a cumulative build up in the system - the liver, until toxicity occurs. Take it from me, that isn't something you EVER want to experience!
So, WHY is such a harmful ingredient in nearly every household product we use? Bottom line, it's SUPER CHEAP! Never mind that it causes hives, rashes, asthma-like symptoms and, hair loss, among other horrific things! "Cheap" = bigger profit margins. 'nuff said?
Ridding my home of products that contained SLS wasn't easy six years ago, at least in the boon docks where I lived, anyway. So, I resuscitated my inner alchemist and went to work!
For years, now, I've made my own laundry detergent, body wash, and tooth paste, among other things! (One day very soon, we'll be offering a whole line of SLS FREE products and recipes here! ) I found Sulfate Free Shampoos rather easily, so, I've continued to use store bought formulas, although, I did create a Pet Shampoo for my dogs that I LOVE.
Over the past six years I've had many clients who've complained about similar symptoms, which led me to the realization that this is a much more widespread problem than I originally thought. Many people are experiencing the side effects that lead up to toxicity, but, aren't sure what is causing them, so, I'm going to include a list of things I personally encountered for your quick reference.
I believe that it's not a matter of IF, but, only a matter of WHEN one's system will become toxic- at least for anyone still using regular store bought household products. Therefore, my tip to you is RID YOUR HOME of these harmful products RIGHT AWAY!
BUYER BEWARE! Many products that are labeled "Natural" and "Organic" contain SLS! They are a-lyin' to YOU! It may be true that some of the ingredients are natural or organic, but, that doesn't mean that they ALL are! READ THE LABELS! Look for "SULFATE FREE" or "SLS FREE" products. SLS hjas many close cousins you should also avoid. I will list them below.
Last but not least... SURPRISNGLY, SLS is also used a filler material in many medications! I was SHOCKED to find out after a YEAR of taking generic Claritan D that it contains SLS! In fact the as the second ingredient listed on the box, the Walgreen's brand has the highest concentration of SLS of any medication I've found, to date.! Because my body had become so toxic, I also developed severe sensitivities and allergies to other kinds of sulfates as well. Sulfates, sulfites, sulfonimides, are common preservatives that are used (especially) in foods, and beverages that contain any kind of fruits. My life has been SLS Free for nearly 5 1/2 years, and these still have a severe affect on me, pretty much instantly. Yet, one more reason to give sulfates the BOOT, asap!
--Jana McDaniel, La Epidermis Evangelista
Like this article? Like and Share it with your friends!